6 Different Types of Common Tree Diseases
Trees can make a yard come to life. They’re beautiful to have and they’re amazing for the environment, too. But what do you do for a diseased tree? Common tree diseases can infect all sorts of species in Northern Virginia. Here's a look at Northern Virginia tree diseases, what to expect when they appear, and how you should respond to them:
- Dogwood Anthracnose: This disease affects our state tree, though it's most common at high altitudes (1,000 feet or more) and in moist conditions. Signs include purple- and tan-rimmed leaf spots, brown blotches and dead leaves. Dogwood anthracnose can kill a tree, though simple leaf spotting is often less serious.
- Powdery Mildew: Powdery mildew also infects the dogwood, creating bright white and gray patches that cover the tree’s leaves. This is usually related to the weather and is not serious, but the best thing you can do while your tree is experiencing powdery mildew is to avoid fertilizing.
- Beech Bark Disease: Affecting beech trees, beech bark disease can lead to early decline and can make your tree more susceptible to other organisms. Look for red, lemon-shaped fruiting bodies, which will be small and only visible with a hand lens. Bark will be infested with white scales.
- Vascular Diseases: Impacting elm trees, vascular diseases lead to wilting and yellowing of foliage. A fungicidal injection can be used to treat this condition.
- Wilt: Wilt mostly affects maple and oak trees. Effects can range from stunted branch growth to tree mortality. It typically begins in the roots, but a nitrogen fertilization can sometimes stop it from growing and affecting the entire tree.
- Decline: Decline most often impacts hickories and oaks. You’ll find growth stops and the bark cracks. It can lead to mortality. If trees are infected in a forest, harvest them to save the others.
At Richard’s Tree Service, we are your tree experts in Northern Virginia. Since 1996, we’ve been helping homeowners combat common tree diseases in VA, and we also help to care for diseased trees. Our team has more than 70 years of experience in this industry and we apply that experience each day toward helping you and your trees.
We offer comprehensive services, including stump removal, tree evaluation, deep root fertilization and much more. The only thing that matters when you choose a tree service are the results the service delivers. At Richard’s Tree Service, we know how to deliver the results you want to see for your trees.
And do all of this with an emphasis on customer service. We know that tree needs at your home often represent immediate needs, which is why we move quickly and with the urgency required to meet your unique needs. You’ll find plenty of options when searching for tree services in Northern Virginia, but you won’t find the same blend of experience, results and customer service.
Contact us today about Northern VA tree diseases and caring for diseased trees.
Use this form to schedule a FREE estimate. After submitting your form, our team will contact you to set up this appointment. If it is an emergency please call us immediately at 703-354-3667.